1. PRE-UIL & UIL INFO
2. HOW YOU SHOULD BE PRACTICING
3. PASSOFF DEADLINE ADJUSTMENT
5. FINAL TRIP PAYMENT
6. REMIND & VERIZON
1. PRE-UIL & UIL INFO: information, including days and times, for Pre-UIL (Mid-Winter Festival) and UIL is available. Most classes will have received this information in class by Monday. If you did not receive the info in class, it is available on Charms. Pre-UIL is required of ALL students except Chamber Orchestra. UIL participation will be determined by eligibility (based on the 4th six weeks), and successful completion of passoffs on our UIL music. MAKE SURE YOU ARE PASSING YOUR CLASSES!!!
2. HOW YOU SHOULD BE PRACTICING: as we enter this last stretch before UIL, make sure you practice EVERY DAY. Even 10 minutes of practice from EVERY student, EVERY day can have a big impact. If you have a lot of spots to make better, pick one. Play your patterns to warm up, and then work on that one spot. Practice slowly. Record yourself and listen critically to what you can do better. Use a tuner to check your notes. Video yourself to see if you have great posture and are hovering. Focus your time on the spots where you don’t sound your best, and make them better every day. And remember to submit your efforts as a practice journal entry!!!
3. PASSOFF DEADLINE ADJUSTMENT: due to Mr. Goins being out sick, we have decided to adjust the passoff deadline for our UIL passoffs. Passoff 4.1 will now be due by 2:50p on Wednesday, 2/13. Passoff 4.2 will now be 5.1, and will be due by 2:50p on Friday, 2/22. With testing and other schedule disruptions, students will not have many attempts in class to complete 5.1, so use plus periods or arrange to come after school if needed.
4. TISSUES: flu season is here, and we are quickly running low on tissues in the Orchestra Hall. We appreciate any donations of tissue boxes! You can hand them to any director.
5. FINAL TRIP PAYMENT: all students should have paid their trip in full at this point. Please see Mr. Goins if any payment arrangements need to be addressed. Thanks!
6. REMIND & VERIZON: thanks to overwhelming support of the Remind platform from users, Verizon has reversed course and decided not to treat Remind text notifications as spam! If you have service through Verizon, you should continue to receive your text notifications via Remind. If you contacted Verizon to advocate for this valuable communication tool, thank you!
Please let us know if you have any questions, and thank you for your continued support of the AHS Orchestra!