1. REGISTRATION DAY (REQUIRED)
2. SCHOOL INSTRUMENTS
3. HOWDY PARTY
4. PRACTICE JOURNALS
5. PHOTO SHOOT (SENIORS & OFFICERS)
1. REGISTRATION DAY (REQUIRED): a reminder that Registration Day is SATURDAY, 9/8. Times are available in 20 minute slots between 9a and 1p, and ALL students MUST sign up for a time to come take care of uniforms, forms, fees, and more. Please see the packet from this week’s Orchestra Meetings for instructions of how to sign up for your time via the orchestra website. WANT TO GET THROUGH THE PROCESS FASTER??? Check out the “Tips for Speed” page in the meeting packet for ways that will speed up the process for you.
2. SCHOOL INSTRUMENTS: we have a large number of students asking to use school instruments this year. We are working to fill all of these needs by borrowing available instruments from other schools. While we will have instruments to check out to most students at Saturday’s Registration Day, it is likely that a few violin and cello players may have to wait a bit longer for an instrument. A completed Instrument Usage Agreement is required to check out an instrument.
VIOLIN & VIOLA PLAYERS MUST PROVIDE THEIR OWN SHOULDER RESTS. Any student who does not already own their own shoulder rest may purchase one from us for $20, which is a significant discount from retail. Students may pay for the shoulder rests Saturday, and they will be delivered once they have arrived.
3. HOWDY PARTY: our next social event is quickly approaching!!! The Howdy Party is Friday, 9/14, from 5-7p at Pantego Bicentennial Park. Come build UNITY with your fellow orchestra members with games, food, and fun!!! Help celebrate our entire AHS Orchestra Cluster at this awesome orchestra picnic! Students will sign up in class on Monday/Tuesday of next week, and will bring a food item based on their grade level (details will be given in class).
4. PRACTICE JOURNALS: frequent, deliberate practice is crucial to having an excellent orchestra program, and we began Practice Journals in classes this week to provide students a good tool to help guide their practice. Students have an assignment sheet where they should be writing down their assignments each class, and are expected to practice at least 4 times per week. Additionally, students may practice up to two additional times per week for extra credit. Students must submit an online Practice Journal form at each practice session to receive credit. Complete details of the Practice Journals are detailed on the assignment sheet, which can also be found on Charms.
5. PHOTO SHOOT (SENIORS & OFFICERS): seniors and officers will have their photo shoot for this year’s concert programs on Tuesday, 9/11, at 3:30p. Guys should wear their orchestra tuxedo. Girls may wear their orchestra uniform, or a school-appropriate formal dress. Due to construction in the front of AHS, students should meet in the Orchestra Hall.
We enjoyed getting to meet so many parents at this week’s meetings, and appreciate everyone’s time and positive energy! If you have any questions, please let us know, and thank you for your support of the AHS Orchestra!!!