1. INVENTORY & UNIFORMS
2. ORCHESTRA HONORS CREDIT
3. DUAL-CREDIT MUSIC
4. FINE ARTS CORDS FOR SENIORS
5. STATE ETUDES POSTED
1. INVENTORY & UNIFORMS: all school-owned instruments and any uniforms or uniform pieces (including tuxedo bags) still not turned in MUST be returned by Wednesday, May 25. Students wishing to check out an instrument over the summer should talk to Mr. Goins, and must still turn in their instrument. Students who have not turned in an instrument and/or uniform will be placed on the fees & fines due list.
2. ORCHESTRA HONORS CREDIT: among some exciting new initiatives recently announced by AISD, we will be able to offer Orchestra for honors credit (additional GPA weighting) beginning with the 2016-2017 school year!!! This option is available to students in grades 10-12 in the year the credit is earned. Students will complete additional work, as detailed in the application packet. We are working on getting copies of the application packet ready for students, and the packet is available on Charms now.
3. DUAL-CREDIT MUSIC: another exciting new initiative recently announced by AISD is the dual-credit opportunity in music, in conjunction with UNT!!! This class is a fantastic opportunity for students to earn college credit, and is designed to not impact a student’s regular schedule. The class will meet once each week at AHS. Applications for this dual-credit opportunity are due June 13, and are available either on Charms or from the counselors’ office. We are working to prepare copies, as well.
4. FINE ARTS CORDS FOR SENIORS: the last exciting new initiative just announced is the approval of Fine Arts cords for our graduating seniors!!! These awards were created to honor a very select number of seniors involved in the arts programs who have demonstrated consistent, above-and-beyond preparation, effort, involvement, and attitude to make a significant positive contribution to their ensemble and the program. Beginning with the 2016-2017 school year, we will have a clear, quantitative process for earning the Fine Arts cord included in the orchestra handbook. For the current school year, the cords have been awarded to seniors in Symphony, along with a select few others who have consistently met the criteria listed above.
5. STATE ETUDES POSTED: All-State etudes for 2016 have been posted to Charms. Students interested in auditioning should begin working on these etudes now. While All-Region audition material will not be released until August, that audition process will include some portion of each of these etudes, as well. Students wanting to get a head start on All-Region may begin working on the state etudes now, and will be able to focus their efforts once the region cuts are released.
6. COLONIAL: a HUGE thank you to everyone who has stepped up and volunteered to help with the Colonial!!! We can always use more volunteers, especially for Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. If you find yourself able to help last minute, please contact Kim Hays at 817-528-8051, or email@example.com. If you signed up to help, students may pick up passes/parking permits/release forms/shirts (if needed) from the directors.
Please let us know if you have any questions, and thank you for your continued support of the AHS Orchestra!!!