1. TURKEY BASH
2. ALL-STATE RESULTS
4. PRACTICE OVER THANKSGIVING BREAK
5. AHS ORCHESTRA IN THE NEWS
1. TURKEY BASH: the Turkey Bash is THIS FRIDAY, November 18, from 6-9 pm in the MAC!!! Food and fun with the AHS Orchestra family to send us into the break! The booster club provides the meat, and students sign up to bring sides (by grade level; sign-ups are in the AHS Orchestra Hall). Student admission to the event is to bring their side, and to wear their 2016-2017 AHS Orchestra t-shirt. Don’t miss the fun!!!
2. ALL-STATE RESULTS: this past weekend, auditions for All-State Orchestra were judged in Houston. Students who auditioned are among the top roughly 10% of high school musicians in the state. Those who make it to the second round are among an incredibly elite group, and those who earn spots in one of the All-State ensembles are truly among the best of the best in the state! Lyndsey Walker made it to the second round, ranking 63rd in the state. This is a spectacular accomplishment! Hannah Lei ranked 69th in the state, earning a spot in the All-State Philharmonic Orchestra. This is Hannah’s second year earning a spot in an All-State ensemble, an accomplishment made even more impressive by the fact that it was on violin, the most competitive instrument! Congratulations to everyone who auditioned!!!
3. PASSOFFS: students were given their passoffs for the third six weeks in class last week (also available on Charms). Each class has two passoffs to complete this six weeks. We encourage students to be proactive and complete their passoffs as soon as possible. Students will have one chance to play for directors each week in class, and may also come in during Plus Period, or may make arrangements to play before or after school.
4. PRACTICE OVER THANKSGIVING BREAK: with our Winter Concert quickly approaching, we ask for your help encouraging every student to practice over the upcoming break so that we do not take steps backward. Students will have practice assignments over the break. Additionally, due to the possibility of climate systems being off over the break, EVERY personal instrument must go home over the break. If you have a second instrument that you keep at school, it MUST go home over the break.
5. AHS ORCHESTRA IN THE NEWS: the AHS Orchestra has been piloting a new program called United Sound. A first in Texas, United Sound provides music instruction to students with special needs through a peer-mentor after-school program. The students involved will give their first performance as part of our Symphony Winter Concert on December 7. This program was featured on NBC 5 this morning. Click the link below to see the story. We are incredibly proud of the students involved in this program!!!
Please let us know if you have any questions, and as always, thank you for your continued support of the AHS Orchestra!!!